Thursday, September 01, 2005

A brief vacation... but not a happy time....

I am thoroughly depressed over the effects of Hurricane Katrina... why are people hurting so down there? And, I won't ask why.... I already know why... but I am so angry at those who are taking advantage of this country by gouging us at the pumps... when there is no valid reason to even increase gas prices. USA Today recently reported we have more gasoline reserves right now than we did at this time last year, but gas at the end of my street is $3.39 today.... hmmmm.... moving to the islands is becoming more and more appealing right now... I hate this helpless feeling that comes with knowing we are being taken advantage of... and worse, people are hurting and dying in the south...
And, tonight I just kept going with this sampler... I can see the light approaching at the end of the tunnel now.... sorry you cannot click it to enlarge it tonight. Blogger pics was acting up, so I had to use Photobucket instead.

Passione Ricamo's next release has been unveiled, and she is a beauty! Have you seen her? This is Dawn, Fairy Spirit of Grace. Oh my!!!! She is going to be a must stitch, of course!!! I wonder what fabric she will look best on.... ah, a sweet little distraction for me tonight!

I ordered the silk pack today for Just Nan's Love Letters - got it on sale, what the heck.
And Thea Dueck has released her latest freebie today - this is Connie, the 2005 Angel.... and she is stitched with DMC! Yes, she is actually an affordable stitch this year!!! If you want the pattern, sign up for free to her VS Club and download her :-) I already did :-) **If you have not already signed up for the VS Club, I want to plug it a little for you - her animated stitch diagrams are amazing!!! They are really worth checking out! You can access them after you sign up for her club.
And, I picked up the new Cross Stitcher (UK Magazine) - I couldn't find a pic on the net, nor did I feel like getting my camera out, so I got the pic off of an ebay auction - LOL!! Some cute Margaret Sherry stuff in it, as always :-)

Red Sox 7, Devil Rays 4 - that is a sweep of the series, and an increased lead to 3.5 games over the Yankees.... for now :-)

And, so how much will gasoline cost tomorrow??!!

Stitched on today: Celtic Band Sampler

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! I didn't know about the new VS freebie. She didn't send a newsletter, did she? Good catch, though. I can't wait to find some time to stitch it! Maybe next month...

Unknown said...

Sorry you are feeling so saed Carol, I am hearing things on the news here and it is not good.

As for the petrol - I think we are being taken advantage of the world over....

Loved the new fairy, she is lovely. And VS Club is wonderful, agree aboutthe stitch diagrams. Have been a member for a number of years. Theas freebies are pretty jolly good too.

Thinkng of you...

Anonymous said...

I have no idea that you need to sign up to get the freebie.

Normally I just go over to her site, click on the design and right click on the "Printer Friendly Page" and downloaded her. Downloaded VS freebie this morning, a must stitch cutie.

I can't bear to look at the destruction on what Katrina had done. Really pains my heart. Really angry at some people that had taken advantage of the situation and ask for scam donation. :(

Bastet said...

So close! Three more bands and you're done! Way to go. DH got lucky today when he filled the van (only did it because of the price hikes)and found one of the last places that was cheap, probably didn't last the day (the gas at the store that is)

Unknown said...

The sampler looks great - that's a lot of progress for one night!

The gas prices are really crazy, we're holing up this weekend, it is very depressing what Katrina has done, I can't watch much on the news, it's too heart wrenching to see people still stranded down there, I wish there was more I could do.

Cathy said...

I had to turn the news off last night because I was crying so badly, I was upsetting Joshua. It's just horrible. They said on the Today show this morning that gas prices rose overnight. Before we know it, no one will be able to drive anywhere, and we'll all be trapped.

BeckySC said...

Hi Carol,
CBS is looking awesome! You are doing great on it.

I too have been very depressed over the hurricane. It is so heartbreaking...words cannot even begin to describe it.
We couldn't get gas here for 2 days...I haven't been out of the house today to know if we can today or not. It's been terrible, gas stations have ran out and the lines are so long when there is gas. It's over 4.00 in some places here It's ok-I can stay home, but hubby and son cannot-they have work and school...(I feel bad complaining tho-look at what I could be suffering)

The new PR is LOVELY! WOW!

I hope you are feeling a little better.

((((hugs to you)))

Lelia said...

thanks for sharing your pictures & for the heads-up on the VS freebie.

stitch well.

Schokti said...

Great progress on CBS, Carol! You are really groovin' now!

The new PR is lovely... definately one to add to my list. You are such an enabler! I can't wait to see you stitching it!

Gill said...

The situation following the storm is so tragic .... I don't know what to say.
You have done LOADS on Celtic Band Sampler - you must have been really busy, congratulations on your progess.
I love that new Passione Ricamo chart .... another one for the wish list!

lobea2004 said...

Carol! I'm sorry because you feel sad...we're hearing about Katrina too and it's really sad.

I love the new PR. Beautiful!!!

And I'm really happy to have joined your Celitc Ladies SAL. Really happy!!!

Mary said...

I have felt really at a loss too with what has happened down south. I have donated some money to the Red Cross so I feel like I've done something. Your sampler is really coming along great! I've seen a variety of gas prices around Boston ranging from 3.29 to 3.69 for regular unleaded self serve. EEK! Thanks for sharing the

Anonymous said...

I feel the way that you do about all the people affected by Katrina. I do have to mention something about the gas though. My DH is a manager at the gas stataion and it isn't the gas stations that want to raise the prices. The main gas companies are raising it so high for the gas stations to buy it that they have to raise it. My DH is so mad because these companies have already made billions of dollars this year and DH thinks that is just plain greedy why a company feels that it has to make that kind of money. He says give it back to the people. He would love to lower the gas prices but they aren't making much money off of it now.